147/365 Takk fyrir Iceland xxx




I watched the Sigur Ros movie Heima last night, and it reminded me (although I didn't really need reminding!) why I love Iceland so much! Hemia means Home, and its about the band doing a series of gigs totally for free around their home country in Iceland, everything from a huge outdoor sell out gig in Reyjavik to tiny afternoon acoustic sets on a lava field. Whole villages turn out to see them play, from grandparents to grandchildren and every age in between. There's something about Iceland, Icelandic people and the music that for me is just so touching, and connecting. I read in one of my Icelandic guidebooks that Bjork refers to the country as an "emotional landscape" that really hit the nail on the head for me, watch this video and listen to this song, and I defy you not to feel deeply touched by it, just beautiful. The photograph is one of 400 I took in my 6 day visit! Just a cloud formation over a snowy landscape but how amazing does it look with the sun like an eye through the cloud! Every single view is like a postcard - you become "full" with the beauty you see and for me it just fed my soul - sorry if that sounds over the top, but I can't explain it in any other way. I so can't wait to go back there. And the title? Means "Thank you Iceland"  :) And the Icelandic word for "goodbye" is" bless" how cute is that? So the last thing someone Icelandic said to me as I paid for lunch was "Takk fyrir bless bless" ADORABLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment